Fairly recently, Google has a made some updates and clarifications to their quality guidelines for local pages. The hope is that this will clear up some issues that had existed though some people are wondering if Google will have the resources to enforce these new rules.
Here are a few of the most notable changes:
- The same location with two or more brands must pick one name.
- Multi-location chains need to have increased name and category consistency.
- When choosing a category, the more specific category should be chosen and not the general category.
- Companies are not allowed to use any sort of descriptors.
- Virtual Offices are not allowed unless they are staffed.
- Different departments that have their own pages must also have unique categories to go along with them.
- Multi-location practices should include the practitioner’s name only and not the name of the practice.
Having a local page for your business is a good idea and with these new changes, it might help make it easier for people to find your business. With many people using smart phones and tablets when out and about, it becomes really easy to consult Google maps to find local places to visit so if you’re not visible to these people then you’re missing out on a number of potential clientel.
Written By: Doyle Clemence – SEO
As the world leading white label provider to agencies across the globe we can help you deliver outstanding SEO results for your clients. Can we help you? Check out more about our White Label SEO Services and learn how we help you achieve the outcomes you are looking for.