SEO and Google Ads management are services that have risen in popularity with many agencies offering them as a service. A lot of professionals want to jump in because they know the importance of having that something special, that edge. Google Ads Certification is advantageous for both new and experienced individuals in the space. As it is connected to Google Ads, this certification and training is a trusted and valuable credential in the industry, particularly if you want to land a job at a white label PPC services provider like our firm.
In this post, we show you three steps to getting your Google Ads Certification. Learn the behind-the-scenes of the process and the reason why you need to take the exams.
Google Ads Certification
Obtaining Google Ads certification means that Google recognizes you as an expert in online advertising. It also gives you an edge of credibility over other folks in the space that don’t have the accreditation.
Before obtaining this certification you will have to pass the Ads certification exams. Getting your hands on this is beneficial in a couple of ways. First, you can demonstrate your proficiency in Google ads but also, if you are with a company, this certificate can add to the company’s credentials as a member of Google Partners.
This certification program has gone through several changes since its inception. It was originally a stand-alone program until the Google Partners program was created. Then, more changes came in 2018 when migrating to the Google Academy for Ads and again recently when it was rebranded to Skillshop. That being said, their individual certification, content, training, and exams remain relatively unchanged.
Today, this type of certification has become the minimum standard requirement for a majority of organizations when hiring for entry-level search marketing work. With how influential and pioneering Google is in the space, one can see how going through the training, passing the exam, and obtaining this certification is valuable not only to the individual seeking certification but also to a company’s Google Partners status if they are affiliated with that individual.
Now that we’ve talked about what Google Ads certification is, below is a step-by-step guide to the process of obtaining it.
Step 1: Set Up Your Skillshop Account
- First, go to Skillshop to get to the page for Google Ads Certification.
- Press “Login” in the top right corner of the page
- Use the appropriate account you want to get certified
- a) A work email will likely be required if you are under a company. The company may also want the email used for certification linked to the one used to manage Google Ads.
- b) You can create a new Google Ads account if one does not already exist.
- For users who already have a Skillshop profile, make sure your Google account is still linked appropriately to avoid certification of a new account rather than recertification of a current one (unless new certification is the goal).
- You might be confused by the account management piece because handling separate profiles on linked accounts from this system to Google accounts and Ad management systems can be frustrating. If you wish your certificate to contribute to acquiring a Google Partners badge for your company, use the Google Partners company email address used to manage ads.
Note: It could be beneficial to also read up on the Google Partners program.
- You can navigate back to Google Ads Certifications if you wish to view the exam topics a) Learn about the specific certifications and where you would want to begin.
- b) After selecting a certification (e.g. Google Ads Search Certification), read the overview content.
- c) Then, you can click “Get Started” when ready.
Step 2: Prepare for the Exam
Whether you are looking for basic or more in-depth training and education, Google has you covered. The specific Google Ads certifications are:
- Google Ads Display Certification
- Google Ads Video Certification
- Google Ads Search Certification
- Google Ads Measurement Certification
- Shopping ads Certification
- Google Ads Apps Certification
- Google Ads Creative Certification
Google Ads Search Certification is recommended for those who are just starting with Ads and aren’t familiar with their exams. This is because search ads are the most common type of ad that are run by companies.
However, this isn’t a hard and fast rule. The certification you decide to start with is entirely up to what area you or the company you work for want to focus on first or are more involved in.
When navigating to any one of these pages, you will find optional training and/or study content, knowledge check assessments, and the required assessment for certification. The optional study content ranges from a few minutes to hours. It will certainly be a time investment, especially if you plan on going in-depth with each one. However, the content is valuable and it comes with sample questions that could help your preparations for the certification exam(s). Whether you are a veteran or just starting out, it is recommended that you go through the training. They can help deepen your understanding of the areas wherein you wish to obtain specific certifications.
Note: If you are an agency owner looking to expand your services you don’t have to personally go through the strenuous process of passing the exam and then providing the service to your customers. You can always hire a white label company like us!
Step 3: Pass the Exam
You’ve set up your account. You’ve gone through the training content and knowledge check assessments. Now all that’s left is to take on the assessment for certification.
There is one assessment per specific certification, and you are required to pass each one respectively to become certified. Again, you can stop at one or two relevant areas of specialization or gain certification in all specific areas mentioned above as long as you pass the assessments. More certifications mean more credentials for you to demonstrate your knowledge and mastery.
However, if you were to fail in passing the assessment, there is a waiting period before you are allowed to take it again. This is why the training is a valuable resource for preparation. Nevertheless, this is not a major setback and you can always retake the exams after a time. If you don’t pass an exam, you can take it again after 14 days. If you don’t pass the second time, you must wait 60 days before you can take it a third time. If you don’t pass the third time, you must wait 365 days before taking it again.
It is recommended that if you have successfully become certified, you should download a digital copy as proof of certification.
You can also make a public profile page. To turn it on, click on the top right corner and find “My Account”. Then, after pressing it, find the toggle for “Public” and follow the prompts. This public profile lets visitors know the certifications you have obtained.
Whether you are new to managing ads or you are a seasoned professional, Google Ads Certification is a worthwhile investment.
It can serve as a credible credential to demonstrate your knowledge and skill to potential employers, as a means to keep up to date and stay on top of the latest practices in the ever-evolving space, or even as a means to assist your company in becoming a part of Google Partners.
The Google Ads education and training resources are at your disposal to provide you with basic to more in-depth knowledge that will assist you in gaining certification. This valuable knowledge benefits both individual pursuits and the pursuits of companies as a whole.
While there are other training resources out there, Google Ads Certification maintains its status as a standard that most hiring ad companies in the PPC Management space expect to see.